How to Rotate Text in Word – When you want to change the direction of the text in Word, you have several options. But, before you can rotating text in the Word, you need to create a text box, or table and then adding text to it. With your text in a text box or table, you can point your words in different directions.
Important: You cannot rotate text in the Word Online and Word mobile applications. This feature is only available in the Word desktop application for PC and Mac.
How to Rotate a Text Box in Word
Text boxes make it easy to change the direction of text in words. All you do is create a text box, add some text, and decide how to rotate the text box.
To create a text box, select Insert> Text Box and choose one of the default designs. For adding, select the text box and then start typing.
To rotate text with the rotation handle, select the text box and drag the rotation handle to the right or left. Release when the text is in the direction you want.
Tip: To rotate the text box in 15 degree increments, hold Shift while dragging the rotation handle.
Read More: Scale the Gray Image and Color in PowerPoint
To rotate the text box 90 degrees:
- In Word for PC: Select the text box, choose Layout> Rotate, and select Rotate Right 90 ° or Rotate Left 90 °.
- In Word for Mac: Click the text box, click Format Form> Arrange> Rotate> Rotate, and select Rotate Right 90 ° or Rotate Left 90 °.
To set a special rotation angle:
- In Word for PC: Select the text box, choose Layout> Rotate, and select More Rotation Options. From the Size tab; changing the rotation angle to the angle you needing.
- In Word for Mac: Click the text box, click Format Form> Arrange> Rotate> Rotate, and click Other Rotation Options. From the Size tab, changing the rotation angle, so the text points in direction you need.
How to Rotate Text in a Text Box
Instead of rotating the text box, you can choose to rotate the text in the box.
Tip: You can also rotate text inside a shape.
To rotate text in the text box, select Format Drawing Tool> Text Direction and select Rotate all text 90 ° or Rotate all text 270 °. The text will appear vertically on the page.
To align the text in the text box, select Format Drawing Tool> Align Text, and align the text with the right side of the text box, the left side, or the middle.
How to Change the Direction of Text in Tables
You can also rotate text in a table. Text rotation allows to have narrow rows in a table.
To create a table, select Insert> Table and choose a table size.
To change the direction of the text in the table:
1. Select the cell that contains the text for which you want to change direction.
2. To change the direction of the text, select Layout Tool Table> Text Direction. The text will rotate to the right. Select Text Direction again to rotate the text 90 degrees again.
3. To change text alignment, select the Alignment option to change how the text appears in cells. You can align text to the middle, left, right, down, or up.